Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

Funny humor inside a thriller.....really its a James Patterson novel

Mistress - James Patterson, David Ellis

It’s been a while since I have read a James Patterson book and even when I finished reading this novel, I had a hard time believing I had just finished a James Patterson book as the storyline was so quirky for him.  It was almost humorous, offbeat and I found myself chuckling to myself as the main character Ben, flirts through the city dodging the many individuals who want to see him dead.  Ben, this fixated, high-energy character put smiles on my face, as his obsessive behavior and his forte for movies and trivia filled his mind and the pages I was reading.   Need to know something about a movie or a presidential official, Ben is your man.  Ben owns an internet newspaper but he has connections as he used to be a reporter.  Ben thought he knew everything about Diane until her body is found outside her high-rise apartment, how she fell off her balcony becomes Ben’s new obsession.  Things just don’t add up and when he is threatened to step aside, Ben steps up this investigation.  It’s not simple, is it ever.   It’s a cast load of characters as it seems like everyone got in on the action.  Car chases, bike getaways, Secret Service agents, assassins, the police and CIA, the President and a variety of foreign individuals.  The pages turned fast and the story was high- tempo so be ready, just don’t expect a James Patterson novel.