Sandy

My Never Ending List

The Chain

The Chain - Adrian McKinty
When I first saw the cover for this book, I was intrigued and then, when all the reviews started popping up saying how great it was, I put myself on the list to read it. As I started reading it, I couldn’t stop thinking about it and then, I started applying the book to my own personal life. What would I do if I was in Rachel’s shoes? How far would I go? I was literally sucked into this book! In the end, what really surprised me, was how involved Rachel became. I was captivated by what was happening inside these pages but Rachel was possessed.

Kylie was taken from the bus stop. As she makes her way into their car, Kylie’s mind reflects back to all the warnings that she had received over the years about getting into a stranger’s vehicle. Yet, here she was, sitting next to a hooded man, driven by a woman she didn’t know.

Her mother, Rachel will soon receive the first of many calls from an “Unknown Caller, and she will wish that she had done many things differently.” Rachel will then begin fulfilling the requirements to get Kylie back. Rachel, a woman who is fighting cancer hopes that she too, can fight this chain letter which she will discover, cannot be broken.

I enjoyed all the different viewpoints that the author provided in this story. I felt these gave me a complete picture of the events and it provided a more elaborate account of what was happening. I liked how Rachel matured in the story. In the beginning, Rachel was scared and timid but by the end of the novel, she was a totally different character. As the story progressed, I felt as if something came over Rachel and she was on a mission. I kept wondering what came over her, why was she acting the way she was and when was this going to end? Planting myself in her shoes, I don’t know if I could have stepped where she did or went as far as she went.

I did feel that the book changed tempo halfway through. One part felt intense and vibrant while the other part felt stealthy and sly. This was a fantastic, on-edge mystery that kept me focused till the very end.