Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

The Girl I Used To Be

The Girl I Used to Be - Mary Torjussen
I wanted to scream at Gemma to wake her up. The night was fading, the alcohol was flowing freely and her limitations were melting, as the man across the table soothed her. I believe everyone who reads this novel will feel that trouble was following Gemma when she attends a training convention out of town, alone. The novel had this vibe to it. It wasn’t like Gemma was out fishing for another man but I feel that she had her pole in the water, waiting just in case something tugged on her pole.

Imagine her surprise when she runs into one of her clients at the hotel that she’s staying at. How likely was it that David would be at this same hotel as her convention (eye rolling)? I hoped that Emma was smart enough to be professional around him. Nope: dinner, lots of wine and great conversation got Emma all loopy and she needed to be escorted up to her room. David was such a nice guy to do that but in reality, he ends up doing more than that. I wanted to help her but the alcohol ended up being her friend and by the morning, Emma will want to turn back time, but it will be too late.

A few months later, Emma has put that event behind her, but when she gets her mail, she receives a reminder in the form of a package. Who sent it and why? A few days later, she receives another reminder, a picture of herself, this picture is one she will not want to show anyone. Every few days, she receives something, sometimes via social media, that makes her relive that night in the hotel. She wants to talk to her husband about everything but she’s not sure of what all took place that evening at the hotel and she’s not sure what these reminders mean. Emma does some investigating of that night and what she discovers makes her angry and fearful.

I liked the anticipation that I felt as I read this novel, there was always this suspense of what might happen next. When Emma realizes what occurred, I enjoyed watching her trying to remedy the situation. I enjoyed watching the events unfold and then seeing someone trying to fix the situation. Sometimes not always the best of plans worked but the thoughts and ideas coming together made them see other avenues to try. I enjoyed the relationships inside this novel, past and present. I thought the author did an excellent job and I loved the twists that they threw in to give the novel a slightly different angle.

I received a copy of this novel from NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for a honest review.