Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

Warlight

Warlight - Michael Ondaatje
As I listened to this novel, I think that the audio of this novel enhanced it. As the narrator presented the tale, his tone added depth to the narration and I felt a darkness covering the whole novel. Since I am a huge fan of historical fiction, I really enjoyed this novel. I immediately got caught up in the lives of Rachel and Nathaniel and the mystery surrounding their family and the war.

I was intrigued with The Moth. The Moth, what a name. When Rachel’s and Nathaniel’s parents took off, they left their children in the care of a man the children called The Moth. I had a few questions, right from the beginning. First, who was this man? And then, what was so important that both parents had to leave and they couldn’t take their children?

I found The Moth to be an individual who cared deeply about the children but who had business of his own to do while caring for the children. The Moth, a mysterious man, brought many stealthy individuals into the children’s lives while he cared for them. I could understand the children’s excitement when they started working the dogs for them, but I wondered what would happen, if something went wrong.

Rachel and Nathaniel were curious about the disappearance of their parents as they stayed with The Moth. It seemed to me, that Nathaniel was more interested than Rachel in his parent’s whereabouts.

As the novel jumps forward in time, we find Nathaniel getting an opportunity to work for the Intelligence Service. With restricted documents within reach, Nathaniel ceases this opportunity to do some research of his own, on his parents, especially his mother. Nathaniel is trying to piece together their lives. It was time-consuming but, in the end, Nathaniel finds exactly what he is looking for. And, Nathaniel helps answer a question for me.

There were times I thought the novel dragged on a bit but I enjoyed the narrator’s voice and I never thought about quitting. I liked how Nathaniel dug into the lives of his parents, his inquiry and tact. I think his mother led quite an incredible life.