Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

There Was An Old Mermaid Who Swallowed a Shark!

There Was An Old Mermaid Who Swallowed a Shark - Lucille Colandro
This children’s book is just like the traditional, “I know an old lady who…….” but this book has a slight twist. This book is educational and it is filled with ocean creatures and has more sentences inside than the traditional book of its nature. This book has more meat to it, more substance, and I feel that I enjoyed it more. I did have to slow down to read it which took a bit out of me since I usually have a rhythm down when I read this type of book.

This book begins when the old mermaid swallows a shark and “it left no mark” and then, on the next page we learn a bit more about sharks. The old mermaid then, swallows a squid, “that’s what she did!” and she did that to float with the shark, because I guess the shark was lonely. The book continues on with a fish, an eel, a crab, and a few other ocean creatures until the very end. Through the book, we learn about the various creatures the old mermaid swallows in cute, rhyming sentences. At the back of the book, there is a two-page spread with detail information about the various water creatures the book mentions. There is also a Search and Find in the back pages, allowing readers to search back through the book to find other creatures that are located in the ocean. By matching the pictures/words on these two pages to where the creatures are located in the book.

The illustrations in this book are bright and colorful and I liked the size of this book, as it’s easy to grasp. The old mermaid is looks exciting and happy as she swims about in the ocean. I think the educational information provided in the novel is worthy and not overwhelming. The book has a great flow and it’s a fun book to read and look at.