Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

Pretend I'm Dead

Pretend I'm Dead:  A Novel - Jen Beagin
I don’t know what possessed me to read this book. I mean, this is totally out of my character. There were a few times I wanted to put this book away but I trudged through it. I enjoyed this novel at the beginning but the more I got into it, it was like a rollercoaster, some parts were really good and then they became twisted and bizarre.

Mona cleans houses for a living and she also volunteers at the needle exchange. She usually sees the same clientele when she volunteers but it is this one fellow who catches her eye. She calls him Mr. Disgusting and she starts to daydream about him. Well, daydreaming isn’t enough for Mona and after receiving his contact information, she calls and visits him. They are good together for they’re alike in some ways yet they’re from different worlds. The two of them are unusual people yet Mona is stable while he likes to live on the edge.

When Mona decides to enter Mr. Disgusting drug world, I cringed. What happened next turned the novel upside down, I thought. Mona’s response was not expected and Mr. Disgusting takes a turn for the worst.

Walking down memory lane with Mona, she evoked in me a variety of emotions, as she told stories of her eccentric behavior. Her fascinations and her fantasies, were for the most part on repeat.

I should have quit reading while the reading was good. I should have quit when my image of Mona was not as warped as it is now. I’m just glad I don’t have a house-cleaner and my private things are somewhat safe.