Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

All Summer Long

All Summer Long - Hope Larson
Over one summer, Bina’s world totally changes. She liked her predictable world and she was feeling left out as everyone around her moved and she stood still. Her best friend went to camp without her and without him, she was lost. Bina tries to find things to entertain her, to make her days eventful, but things just weren’t the same.

I liked how this graphic novel dealt with friendships, both long-term and potential ones. Bina wanted to find some new connections but where exactly would they come from? What she really needed was to find some that would be beneficial for her. As Bina’s best friend found another means to spend his summer, she was lost as to what this meant, exactly. Where did that leave her? What happened to their relationship? Did she matter anymore? Communication and emotions were addressed in this novel, both great subjects that are usually difficult at this age. There were highs and lows in this topic and it all depended upon who you were, where you were and what you were doing.

The only issue I have with this novel is that I felt at times the language didn’t flow right for me. It felt choppy at times. I liked the ending, I thought that it was an indirect way of solving one of the issues. I think some readers will be able to see themselves in this novel which is a positive thing.