Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

The Forever Summer

The Forever Summer - Jamie Brenner
Marin was not in love with her fiance so she broke off their engagement, now she’s in love with a fellow a work, a relationship that is taboo in their environment.

Marin finds out that her parents are divorcing and her father has a new girlfriend.

Marin receives an email from Rachel. Rachel says that according to a DNA test that she took, Marin is her half-sister and now, Rachel wants to meet her.

Marin decides to take a DNA test herself and what she finds is surprising. When she questions her mother about the results, her mother is tight-lipped until Marin pressures her and then, her mother reluctantly tells Marin about her pregnancy many years ago.

Marin relationship with her current boyfriend at work is uncovered and the immediate results are not good.

It’s pouring in Marin’s world, she thought when she broke up with her fiance, she might get things back on track but it seems that did not happen.

When Rachel arrives to meet Marin, the anticipation of what would occur was mounting inside me. I was hoping something great would transpire as it seemed that Marin’s life was headed in a downward spin. When Marin’s mother arrives on the scene, as this connection was taking place with these girls, I was expecting fireworks. Then, as the girls made plans to visit Rachel’s grandmother (also Marin’s grandmother), I didn’t know what to expect of these three women. Would there be harsh words spoken? An argument? Would someone say something that couldn’t be taken back?

I didn’t feel that Marin’s mother was truly honest about Marin’s past and I wasn’t sure she really wanted to be. Rachel and Marin seemed to hit it off with each other and it looked as if Marin’s mother was going to be left in the shadows with Marin learning about her past from someone else.

This was an interesting and captivating novel that had some interesting twists inside. There wasn’t any over-the-top drama but it was a novel that kept my interest and as the story played out, I felt a deep connection to the characters and to the lives that they were leading. As the secrets slowly came to the surface, the biggest surprise was how they were handled.