Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

Let Me Lie

Let Me Lie - Clare Mackintosh
Anna parents died within months of each other. They were both suicides but Anna doesn’t believe it’s possible. She believes there is something behind the death of her mother and she starts an investigation into it.

I read the words of Anna’s mother who doesn’t want Anna to make inquiries about her death. She fears for Anna’s safety and she doesn’t want the outcome of the truth to be revealed. Where is this voice coming from and what exactly is the truth about her death?

The mystery starts to slowly reveal itself as Anna receives something in the mail. Was this item sent to be a threat or a call for help? Anna doesn’t know what to think about it while Murray, the retired officer working on her case, is still trying to piece everything together. Other mysterious items begin to arrive and whether they are there to help or hinder, confuse and disturb Anna at a time in her life when she should be enjoying motherhood and mourning the deaths of her family.

We all know that once you start lying, it’s easy to continue and that the lies begin to mount one-on-top-of-one-another just like that and that is what happens inside this novel. The truth was somewhere beneath all these layers but where was it? And what would it reveal, when it was finally discovered?

I liked the characters in this novel. I loved their craftiness and their spontaneity. They were quick on their feet and quick to act as sometimes, they didn’t have time to pause and think before reacting. I thought the premise behind the novel was enjoyable and entertaining. This was a fun, twisting mystery that kept me on my toes.

I received a copy of this novel from NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group. in exchange for an honest review.