Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

Children of Blood and Bone - sneak peak

Children of Blood and Bone: The OrÏsha Legacy (Children of OrÏsha) - Tomi Adeyemi
I don’t know why I did it but I did and I don’t think I will ever do it again. This was my first and instead of calling it a sample, I will call it a teaser because that is exactly how I feel, teased. When I first laid eyes on this novel, I wanted to read it and when I saw the opportunity to read a portion of it, I jumped on it. Big mistake!

From the beginning pages where Mama Agba picks Zelia to fight Yemi with the staffs, to where the King’s men enter the arena, which has now been transformed into a seamstress shop, I was hooked. As Mama Agba tells the girls about the rise and fall of the Maji, who the Diviners are, and why these girls are training with her, I knew the confrontations reached way beyond the walls of their room. The novel started on a journey and then since this was a sample (teaser), it stopped. There was a cliffhanger on the final page but I didn’t need it, I was already hooked.

So now, I am left hanging until I can get a copy of this novel and finish reading it. For now though, I need to read some other novels that have been calling my name before I bring another novel into this house. I will be picking up Children of Blood and Bone and giving a full review in the near future.

I received this sample (teaser) from NetGalley Macmillian Children’s Publishing Group and in exchange for an honest review.