Sandy

My Never Ending List

Feral Youth

Feral Youth - Shaun David Hutchinson, Suzanne Young, Marieke Nijkamp, Robin Talley, Stephanie Kuehn, E. C. Myers, Tim Floreen, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Justina Ireland, Brandy Colbert
This wasn’t exactly the novel I was hoping it would be. The side stories by the different authors were nothing to scream about, I didn’t think, but the main story about the ten delinquents left out in the woods for three days was what, had my attention. I wanted more of this story, I wanted to know what became of them, I just wished the book contained more of their journey.

They had spent three weeks preparing for their three-day stint in the woods. The ten teenagers each have their own reasons for being a part of this outreach program, some more severe than others. Blindfolded on their drive in, the teens are dropped off in the woods and are given three days to reach their destination. In a perfect world, the teens would have used teamwork, cooperation, and survival skills to make it to the end but this is not a perfect world and we see that, the minute the van drives away. They were teens, they had egos and some immediately formed groups. Some just wanted to make it to the pick-up point and some just didn’t care. They had three days, just three days but to them, it was a lifetime.

Gio, the individual telling the story brought up the idea of the teens telling original stories after the teens started to argue about water. Yeah, some thought the idea was stupid until Gio offered up a hundred dollars for the story that he thought was the best. That shut them up and soon the stories began. Each of the stories were different, there was no central theme running throughout them. There was a bit of truth in a few of the stories, it just depended upon the individual who was speaking. Gio was right, it did keep them busy, their minds were occupied and they couldn’t wait to hear what someone else had to say.

I liked reading about the teens adventure. I found it interesting as a group how they tried to tackle this assignment. There was an injury along the way and seeing how the characters handled that situation said a lot for that character. People talk the talk but until you walk the walk, you never really know. They were all individual others thought (and a few of these teens thought) were delinquents, but were they really? I didn’t care for the stories that the teens told as they walked. I thought they were simple and juvenile. I kept hoping as I read that that next one would be better so I could pick the winner.