Sandy

My Never Ending List

I read almost every genre & I enjoy venturing into unfamiliar territory. As a library volunteer, I'm constantly bringing home novels. Being a substitute teacher, I read lots of YA & children's books.

A score for the reader

I used to buy used children's magazines and carry them in my subbing bag for when kids needed something to read.  The library I bought them from no longer sells them so I talked to the library where I volunteer at.  I asked them what they do with their outdated kids magazines since I don't see them at the sales.  I am the one who cleans/organizes this section of the main library twice a month, so I know what titles we carry.   They told me that sometimes, someone will ask them for a few of them but otherwise, they recycle them.   I hit pay dirt!!  I was excited now.  I asked if they could save them for me.  They asked how many I wanted and I told him, I wanted them all. No, I am not hoarding them too ( I can read some of your minds) :)

Yes, I am keeping some of them for my subbing bag but I do the summer reading outreach program (kindergarten - 6th) and I thought those kids would love to get some free magazines.  Then, if I get enough for our site and I have extra, I will pass them onto the other 4 summer sites.  If I get too many magazines, I can give them to elementary school counselors and teachers to give to kids to take home to read as some kids don't have books at home (great for summer reading).  I am really excited about this!

I just got my first haul.  I had to cross off the library information or peel it off but I got a great variety and a awesome amount.  It's a win-win for readers!