Last Ragged Breath

Last Ragged Breath: A Novel (Bell Elkins Novels) - Julia Keller
The story began and ended with Golden, one of the many dogs that belonged to a man named Dillard who started his own life with a traumatizing event. While out on a walk, Golden discovers in the water, a body. Dillard is glad the guy is dead but he claims that he didn’t kill him. All the evidence points to Dillard and as Acker’s Gap’s new sheriff Harrison and prosecutor Bell build a case, Dillard sits in jail. This case is too nice and neat, it just doesn’t make sense.
There are many other avenues to this novel. Let’s glance into Dillard’s past. As a baby, Dillard was saved from a tragic event which took the lives of his parents. Dillard was living a secluded life until he got arrested, was his present lifestyle shaped because of his past? Dillard owns property which is needed for the future site of a multi-million-dollar resort which is being built in Acker’s Gap. Eddie has been harassing Dillard to sell the property but Dillard refuses. It was Eddie’s body that was found in the water. See, too nice and neat.
The individuals on this case also have their own issues that they are dealing with as they tie the ribbons on this nice case. I was hoping something would crack before they put Dillard in prison. I liked having Bell back (I thought in the last book she wasn’t in her game) as she had her inner turmoil’s back and she was off and running dealing with this case and her own personal issues. I liked this case and I liked how things flowed at the end. I can’t wait to get the new novel.