If the Creek Don't Rise: a Novel

If the Creek Don't Rise: A Novel - Leah Chase Weiss Award from the National Council of Christians and Jews

Nestled inside the Appalachia Mountain are a group of individuals whose life might seem a bit backwards, a bit behind the times but it is a life that they have chosen and a life which they can call their own. Preacher Eli is optimist about the people that surround his small church as he puts out a call for a teacher for the children in his community. She arrives but her past is blemished. This stain that occurred on her resume, she addresses immediately and moves forward. She seems brave and bold as she speaks about her past but she needs to be, as this position is not for everyone. As this outsider makes her way into the community, she begins to get a feel for the history and the individuals who will now be her community. To hear their stories, you understand their notions and the way their lives have taken.

I really enjoyed this novel, I enjoyed the drama as it sliced through the lives of these individuals, not shattering them but causing a disturbance that echoed throughout the community. They were a tight-knit group, they knew what was acceptable and what wasn’t and they each felt connected to each other in some way. It’s funny how they sized-up each other, they each harbored their own feelings about what went on in the community but to act on them, was a different story. As the teacher makes her appearance, you can feel a ripple amongst the group as she has now become a spectacle. These ripples occur throughout the novel, some creating more emotions than others and there were times I wanted someone to act, to stand up immediately and make a difference but it’s not like that in this community. I had to let things work themselves out. I would love to read one of Birdie’s Books of Truth, for I am sure that her use of words and her stories would captive me. I will miss the lives of Sadie, Pastor Eli, Prudence, Birdie and the others, for this novel allowed me to escape and find my way up into the mountains.
I received this novel from NetGalley and Sourcebooks Landmark in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for sharing this terrific novel with me.