LumberJames Volume 1

Lumberjanes Volume 1 -  Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis

I can see why young kids love this graphic novel for its fast and it’s flashy. The youngsters in this novel are over-the-top, they’re loud, they’re super heroes (in their own way), and when they’re together they’re not afraid and they’re just what young kids need. This graphic novel is made up of adventures that the LumberJanes Scouts set out on to together. These girls are at a camp, a camp where they are not only living like ladies but they’re also learning how to live in the wilderness. While out on these adventures, they meet interesting and exciting characters bringing the girls closer together.

At the beginning of each chapter, there is brief but extensive overview of the LumberJanes Field Manual and a badge that is highlighted during the chapter. The illustrations in the novel are bright, busy and colorful. The novel definitely had a lively, cartoon feeling to it. I enjoy it when an illustrator uses a variety of text fonts in graphic novels, as I think that brings these types of novels to life and this novel is living proof of that. There are so many different type of text fonts and sizes in this novel, I really thought this was a plus in this novel.

My thoughts on the novel? I thought the story throughout was choppy and sometimes, bizarre. I had a hard time trying to decipher what was actually happening and why? So why were the girls beating up a bunch of foxes, saying, “what wacked-up eyes you haaaaave!” and then later after they had beaten them up, the foxes howled and said, “Beware the kitten holy.” What is this? I was thinking what had I missed. It wasn’t till way later, the words The Kitten Holy helps them get out of another mess. There seemed to be no logic to this madness at times. Yet at other times, brains…….you actually needed to have brains to survive some of their adventures and then, I thought this graphic novel was wonderful but yet, it failed to explain the full details in how they solved the puzzle using their brains. All in all, I think this book has potential, if it gets kids’ reading and it sometimes pulls their brains into the mix, I’m for it. I just might pick up another LumberJane graphic novel and see how it goes.