You Wouldn't Want to Be on Apollo 13! (Revised Edition) - Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine Ian Graham

So why wouldn’t I want to be on Apollo 13? I thought these series might be a great way to get children interested in history as they explorer events from the past but in a different light. Like me, some children enjoy looking at events in a nontraditional way and this series sounded like it would provide that. It covers events from being at the Boston Tea Party, being an Egyptian Mummy, a Polar Explorer, a Pyramid Builder and a Greek Athlete, just to name a few. These are hard cover non-fiction books with bright amusing and serious drawings on shiny, thick paper. There is a topic heading for each two-page spread with a variety of text fonts on these pages and loads of information to read. The text is educational and informational, geared for the child who wants to learn more or is curious.

I was on Apollo 13 overload by the time I finished reading it, there is a lot to digest inside this book. From getting ready to board the spacecraft, to the different part of the spacecraft, to the big day, being in space, to the problem Apollo 13 had, to Mission Control, etc., this book walked me (an astronaut) through every step of the way of being an Apollo 13 Astronaut and why I should stay home. I thought it was interesting the timing of everything, the countdown, how precise they were. The cost of the spacesuit, now that is crazy! I did learn more about the Apollo 13 mission then I previously knew. Overall, I thought it was a great book about the Apollo 13 Mission, I would have liked more interesting or fascinating facts about the mission, about astronauts or space as I thought it really lacked in that department. It is definitely not lacking in the information department.