Words in Deep Blue

Words In Deep Blue - Cath Crowley

I loved the idea of the bookstore in this novel. Henry’s parents own a secondhand bookstore and I could see Henry owing that bookstore one day. I could see the regulars coming in, talking and browsing during their day. I can see the garden with the tables covered with games, the door off to the side leading into the bakery in case you need something to drink or eat while you are reading. I could see the couch located in the fictional section that Henry’s sleeps on at night surrounded by novels, stories read and unread. It’s the Letter Library that I find interesting. Extra copies of novels, set off into their own special section here in this bookstore, where individuals can write notes, circle words or write letters to others. Oh, the stories these novels would tell.

I was sad when Henry’s parents talked about splitting up. It’s devastating to the family structure but what about the life of the bookstore. His father lived and breathed that bookstore while his mother ran the numbers, she knew if the bookstore was actually on life support or not. Everyone in the family has a vote in the matter and his sister will vote the same as Henry. Henry loves the bookstore but then there is Rachel. Now back in Henry’s life, Rachel is shedding new information that should have been said years ago. It gets complicated when I felt it really was plain and simple but individuals are trying too hard, communication is lost, and some individuals cannot be trusted. It’s a cute novel about loss and romance.