I broke down and tried it

Its been a rough couple weeks here. Charlie, our 3-year old rescue cat has been sick.  He'd been getting sick every couple days for about a week but then over the weekend, he got worse. So that Monday, I took him to the vet. She proceeded to tell me he needed blood work done and a stool sample. We left that day with Charlie getting a shot so he'd keep food down. Next day, they called and said that blood work is great and they wanted to see him again. Another check up, his stool sample is fine, he gets a shot to make him eat ( he was eating, just not his usual self) and an antibiotic shot. They don't know what is wrong with him, don't tell me anything but tell me to call if he gets worse. They want to take x-rays but after they have been squeezing him for 2 days she didn't feel anything but this might show something. I ask how much that would cost, she said $260. Now, I love my cat but I have paid $500 so far in these 2 visits for nothing and since she didn't feel anything and he didn't cry when she manhandled him twice, I wasn't going to fork over $260 on another chance, just yet. So I took him home.

I did some some internet searching every day on Charlie and his symptoms. Charlie began to get sick again a day later. Funny thing, it only occurred at night. I was looking at this one website and I liked what this guy had to say to this ladies question. The deal was, it was an online vet. You ask them your question, pay them and they answer your question. I was skeptical but I broke down because I liked his previous answer. I corresponded with this vet via email at least 8 times ( telling him the whole story, Charlie's history, etc.). I feel he really heard me and gave me sound advice.  His diagnosis: hairballs.  This totally makes sense. I've never had this problem with any of my previous cats- ever! Charlie sheds like crazy, I guess we weren't combing him enough. I paid $20 to talk to this vet via email and I feel it was the best $20 I spent. Charlie hadn't gotten sick in 2 days, he has more pep in his step, we comb him a couple times a day, we put him on a chicken diet to calm his stomach, we are giving him a hairball treatment and slowly adding in some hairball food/treats to his diet.  I feel so relieved that he is on the mend and I can concentrate on something else besides him.  I have read so much on hairballs the past 2 weeks, I can't wait to actually catch up on some real reading.