Cinnamon

Cinnamon - Divya Srinivasan, Neil Gaiman

Cinnamon does not talk, she is a princess whose parents offer great riches to any man who can get her to talk. She is blind, she has pearls for eyes. One day, a talking tiger comes to the palace and claims that he can get “the girl-cub to talk” but the people in the palace are afraid of the tiger. The tiger is allowed to stay and Cinnamon goes to the tiger room to see him. I love how Cinnamon approaches tiger and pushes “her fingers into its fur and felt its hot breath on her face.” The tiger has Cinnamon experience things in this room with him, and by the morning, the two of them face Cinnamon’s parents. Her parents are told what occurred in the room overnight and Cinnamon’s future is addressed.

A child’s book by Neil Gaiman, yes, I think I will have to read this one. This is a unique story and I really enjoyed the illustrations in this picture book. I thought the facial illustrations were fantastic and I liked the crisp bright colors used on the pages. I think this novel would be good for middle elementary students or older.