Beyond the Bright Sea

Beyond the Bright Sea - Lauren Wolk

She was only a few hours old when she was placed in an old boat and pushed out to sea. Osh rescued the small castaway when she washed ashore on the tiny island he inhabited. Their island provided what she needed until curiosity got the best of her and her questions needed answers. Osh was honest with Crow and I liked that about him, he told her the truth when she questioned him. Attempting to go to school, Crow is harassed by her classmates. Osh informs Crow that her classmates, along with other individuals are afraid of Crow as they believe that she came from island of Penikese. Penikese, the island that used to house the hospital that contained the patients with leprosy. As Crow learns about leprosy, she realizes that she must go to Penikese to see if she has any history on this island. This inquiry has mixed emotion for Osh but Crow is set on this possibility.

I enjoyed how Crow is determined to find any connection she has with the island and that should have been her mission in this novel. The love she has for Osh will never fade but the possibility that she might find other individual(s) to share her heart with should have been her mission. This mission should have been the focus of this novel but along the way, the author decides to add a mysterious sub story to the mix which was okay but I thought it took away to the jaunt and the highlight of this novel. This mysterious element just didn’t do it for me, I thought it was a bit silly for this novel. The author does an excellent job wrapping this novel up, helping the reader realize the lessons that Crow learned while learning about her past. I really loved Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk and I look forward to reading other novels by this author.