Gather the Daughters

Gather the Daughters: A Novel - Jennie Melamed

They wanted to create a perfect society where the men would rule and the women would produce the children. This close-knit community had a simple lifestyle, where they would set up their own rules and expand on these rules whenever they needed. As the children began to have their own families, the parents were no longer needed and they simply slipped away as that was one of the rules set forth. Every couple was allowed two children, males being the preferred sex but females were needed for this society to flourish. As the girls reach their summer of fruition, finding a husband would soon be on their minds. It became a cycle, no one differentiated from the norm and no one questioned the system, it just worked. That was until now.

The more that I read, the more fascinated I became with these individuals and their lifestyles. The islands shall-nots have been passed down through the generations and these four girls started to question them. They wanted change. They saw what was happening on this island to themselves and others and they wanted something different. They had questions and yet no one wanted to hear them. I loved their curiosity, the fight that they had within them and the strength they had to continue to fight when faced with such dreadful conditions. They were willing to lose everything they had for their cause. They were curious about the world outside their island, they wanted the abuse of the females to come to an end and as the girls come together, they see what type of people the wanderers are and they try to share this with the village. Their determination made other girls aware of the situation and it bonded these females together. They were fighting for a cause, they had hope and you could feel the love in the words as they fought together for change. As I turned every page, I was pulling for these girls, for what they went through, I can’t imagine walking in their shoes. A novel with excellent tempo and anticipation and great emotions. It was definitely a page-turner novel for me.

I received a copy of this novel from NetGalley and Little,Brown and Company in exchange for an honest review.