After

After - Amy Efaw

I can’t believe I listened to this novel to the very end because the longer that I listened to it, the more irritating this novel became. It was very frustrating to listen to Devon as she denied any wrongdoing when clearly everything pointed directly at her. Clearly her body had just given birth, and clearly, she doesn’t have the baby with her and clearly, a newborn baby had just been found in a trash bag in the dumpster at her apartment building. Whether she remembers having sex and giving birth to this baby is another issue and one that Devon will have to address.

As Devon is questioned by authorities about this pregnancy and newborn baby, I found it frustrating how Devon denied she was involved. Even as her body was preparing for motherhood, she stood her ground and denied that his newborn baby could be hers. There was not even a slight bit of possibility in her mind, even after she notices that her breasts are sore and leaking, did Devon even think that perhaps the child that they found in the garbage bag could be hers. Really, seriously, not even a slight bit of a possibility?

Devon was a soccer player, an excellent one at that. Her future was riding on it and to Devon that is all that mattered. I felt sorry for her because that is all that she had. I thought her mother was a flake and Devon’s friends were the individuals from her team. When she gets cast into the juvenile detention center, Devon doesn’t change but her attorney helps Devon clear the fog so she can see what transpired and get to the real reason why Devon can’t face the facts. The true hero in the novel is the attorney, as she never backs down as she hammers away at Devon. The ending of this novel was just another frustrating piece for me.