The Silence of Our Friends

The Silence of Our Friends - Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, Nate Powell

I loved the artwork in this graphic novel, detailed and realistically drawn illustrations embrace each page. The character’s faces: their all-knowing eyes, the deep creases on their foreheads, and the way that the eyebrows tell the story of what’s really transpiring, it’s as though you don’t need to read the words within each text box. I got caught up in just looking at the illustrations a few times, as they themselves relay the story of just how these characters feel about the situation that they are in. This graphic novel is about civil rights in the late 1960’s. It’s about the violence, the beliefs, the struggles and the spirit of the individuals who fought to be heard. What I liked best about this novel is the illustrations and how we get to read both sides of the story. In this novel, a white journalist becomes friends with a black activist as a murder has been committed and the real suspects need to be brought to justice. I found myself lost a times inside this story, the story confusing but as I pulled myself back, I found my footage and entered into the drama once again. It’s a powerful story and one that gains its strength from its wonderful illustrations.