Shallow End

Shallow End: A Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery - Brenda Chapman

This novel was a huge disappointment for me. Perhaps it was because it was the fourth book in the series and I hadn’t read any of the previous novels leading up to this one so I wasn’t up-to-date with all the characters and their relationships but this novel was boring for me until the very end. With no clues to help the team after the initial case, they had nothing to focus on which lead them to reexam the same individuals over and over again, hoping that it would lead to something. I was introduced to members of the police department and the ghosts that lived there so I was finally getting to know the stories behind the individuals who were assigned to the case. Then, they finally got a break. Just what everyone including me had been waiting for on this case and things began moving rapidly on this case. It’s a crazy, twisted story in the end, one that had been well planned out.

My feelings on this novel is that there was nothing to entertain me with in the beginning besides the initial case. The ending was where everything occurred and in the middle, I was just waiting for something, anything to happen. I would like to start this series from the beginning in the future as I enjoyed the author’s writing but this novel by itself, I give it a 3.

I received a copy of this novel from NetGalley and Dundurn in exchange for an honest review.