The Wonderful Wizard of Oz- graphic novel

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Marvel Classics) - 'Eric Shanower',  'L. Frank Baum'

This graphic novel was fun! I have always been a huge fan of The Wizard of Oz and when I came upon this novel, I knew that I had to read it. The novel follows the original storyline of the beloved tale that we all grew up with as the author throws in his own fantastic extras which I looked forward to. As Dorothy and Toto get stuck in a powerful storm, they soon find themselves in an unfamiliar area. There are the munchkins, a dead witch, the powerful shoes and a yellow road that Dorothy and Toto set off on in hopes of finding the powerful wizard who can get them back home. During their journey, they meet a tinman, a lion and a scarecrow along the way and their travels are quite adventurous. The glamorous city of Oz is so bright that everyone who enters needs to wear special glasses, so this group along with everyone who lives in Oz sports their aviator spectacles and these illustrations are amazing. Dorothy and her friends ask the Wizard for his help but the Wizard needs their help too, for there still is evil and the Wizard wants it gone.

The additions that the author added to this classic story were wonderful. They made their travels more adventurous and diverse. We met more of their world in this novel, we experienced more and got a better view of the characters. I also thought, if we really looked at these new travels, we could see in each individual more of that desire that they were so desperately wanting the Wizard to give them, in these travels. I especially loved the part in the novel when the characters met up with the Wizard for the first time. In this novel, each character met the Wizard individually and relayed what they wanted to him. It was an interesting and great way to present this piece. The illustrations in this novel were incredible. Full of life and bursting with color, the details in each one captivated my eyes. I highly recommend this novel and I have put this graphic novel on the list of books for me to purchase. I think this is a gem for all ages to enjoy.