Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Sergio A. Sierra, Meritxell Ribas

Granted, it has been a while since I have read/watched Frankenstein but this graphic novel is not what I remembered it to be like. I liked the philosophy behind the story, how the story had depth inside it, it wasn’t just an entertaining story his story had more to offer. I remember the story being composed of Frankenstein, his horrific life was centerstage, his terror reigned and his master was puzzled. In this graphic novel, the author showed us the other individuals who are a part of Frankenstein’s life. It’s not all about chaos and confusion, it’s also about the life of his creator.

I was surprised to find this novel in the children’s graphic novel of the library not because of its subject matter but because of its depth. It’s quite deep and extensive for children and although it’s not scary, I feel that it might get more attention in the YA section of the library. I don’t feel many parents read or will want their younger children to read Frankenstein by themselves. I thought the artwork was very well done and I enjoyed that the novel was created using shades of white and black, I felt that it added to the darkness of the novel. I noticed that most of the characters in the novel all seemed to have the same hairstyle which I thought was interesting and it confused me at first. I had a hard time telling them apart. This novel was easy to follow and I enjoyed reading it. I learned a few things about the story of Frankenstein and his creator and I am glad that I picked it up.