Life in a Fishbowl

Life in a Fishbowl - Len Vlahos

I really don’t know what to think about this novel. I guess I was anticipating a more emotional read than what I received, it was a letdown by the time I finished reading it. I thought, here was this father who had died and I really didn’t think anyone grieved for him. When he was diagnosed with cancer, he immediately thought of his family. He was concerned for their well-being, would they be financially set after his death? He wanted to guarantee their welfare so he took matters into his own hands. In the end, his family was rewarded but the weeks with them, leading up to his death were chaos. Was that really worth it? Was the chaos worth the money? There were a few times when I thought things might turn around and times were some emotions were revealed but I felt they never presented themselves fully. I was looking for fond and warm moments where the family could remember those last weeks with their father, not the drama that went on when the cameras were rolling. This novel didn’t have heart that I was looking for.

This novel did have all the drama of a reality show, it had all the characters, it had the controversy and the disputes that occur off camera and on camera. It had excitement and deception, friendships and hostility. The novel had a cancer which went by the name Gilo. Gilo searched out memories inside Jared and it shared them with me, the reader, as I read. These personal stories of Jared’s were then destroyed never to be seen again, for Gilo was on a mission to destroy Jared for he was incurable. I am glad that I read this novel for it was one of those novels that I have been craving to read for a while. The cover was amazing and the synopsis sounded like a book that I would have loved, sometimes though you never know what is inside.