This is Our Story

This Is Our Story - Ashley Elston

I have heard a lot of hype about this novel and it seemed like a story that I would really enjoy so I snagged it while I was browsing the shelves at the library. I liked how the author jumped right in and got the story rolling from the first couple pages.   The story itself then worked itself backwards and the characters retold their story as I tried to figure out just who the guilty party was. The five boys, preppy boys, from an elite school went hunting one day and only four came out of the woods alive. They were the best of the friends, these River Point Boys and had been for years and now, as they emerged, their story of what transpired in the woods sounds like a record on repeat. Illegal activities had transpired that day and perhaps that affected what happened but no one will know because what they say now, is vague and they are united, no one wants to cast blame. There has to be something to crack this case and that’s where the attorneys come into the play. This case is handed down to a lawyer with instructions on how to handle it and I smiled as I read his reactions to their remarks. Kate, an intern in his office goes to school with the River Point Boys and she’s told to keep her distance from them, he doesn’t want anything to destroy his case.  Kate decides to turn PI and she begins her own investigation work. She really got under my skin a few times with her actions and a few times I thought, who the hell was she? She was not the attorney, nor was she was supposed to impair his case yet there were times what she was doing was pushing the limit.

There were a few instances in the novel where things got slow for me but there were some sudden surprises that I hadn’t expected also. In novels like these, I go in trusting no one, anyone that says they didn’t do it, yeah they probably did it and they are on my check list of possible suspects and in this novel, the River Point Boys were my list of suspects. I enjoyed the story, the author dragged me along till the bitter end and then I realized that the one River Point Boy that I thought had pulled the trigger, he was innocent.