Forge

Forge - Laurie Halse Anderson

The drama continues and I was sucked right into it. There is so much talk about the war, what side individuals were taking and how much longer they thought the war would last, it really all depended on who you listened to and what you really believed as to what your answer would be. I thought Curzon and Isabel were a good team when they were together but now, they are separated and Curzon has signed on to be a soldier as he feels the war would soon be over and for now at least he would have some security. War is not easy on him though as there are people who make it hard for him because of his color but he concentrates on his work and he thinks of Isabel and tries to make it through each day. Curzon really frustrated me. He signed up for the war, he knew it was going to be tough plus being of African American decent, he had to know that this might become an issue for other soldiers yet he does it anyway. What was he expecting? It didn’t take long for his past to catch up with him and although he’s enraged and feels deceived at what is transpiring there is one small glimmer of sunshine on his horizon. He only hopes that this sunshine feels the same way. Curzon can’t seem to shake his past but he sees a bright future.

What a great continuation of Chains, a novel that had Curzon and Isabel running for their lives. More drama and excitement awaited these two as they searched for Isabel’s younger sister Ruth who was taken from Isabel.   I was hoping that Curzon and Isabel would stay together but that didn’t occur. I loved Isabel’s commitment to her younger sister; she was determined to protect her, so sure that her sister could not survive without her, so sure that her sister was failing without her. Dang, the war! Dang, slavery! Dang you, Laurie Anderson for writing this novel! Just when things started to turn around for these characters, it went back two steps; they never could get a break. I could feel the hope, the energy, death and disappointment bleeding out of this novel. I had to know what lies in the future for these three, I’m glad that I picked up the third book in this series, I can’t stop now.