The Graveyard Book Volume 1

The Graveyard Book Graphic Novel, Volume 1 - Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell

I loved Volume 1 better than Volume 2 as I felt as if I was reading right along with the sound recording of the same novel. Beautifully done, I cannot say enough about this graphic novel except, do I have to return it to the library? Bright, crisp illustrations bring this dark tale to your fingertips as you read along and discover how Bod’s family was murdered and how he ends up living inside a graveyard. A human boy living inside a graveyard filled with spirits seems impossible yet somehow it all works. His name is Nobody, Bod for short and his adventures with the ghouls, the demons and the hounds keep him busy and remind him that he is not part of their world but his adventures with the humans that wander inside the grounds that he calls home also reminds him that he is part of a bigger world that he has not explored yet. Bod, a boy of the living who mixes with the dead, he has the best of both worlds. With ghosts and Silas as his main caretakers, Bod grows to accept living inside his gated community until the world outside begins to spark his curiosity and he begins to wonders exactly what he is missing.

If you like graphic novels, I highly recommend you check these two volumes out. I have read through them twice now and I decided that I have to purchase them; they have to be in my collection.   I am not a graphic novel reader, I can count on one hand the number of graphic novels I have read but this series, has definitely won me over.  I enjoyed the narration – I think it helped the flow of the story and set the stage. I loved the story and the way the story flowed throughout the pages, I loved how the creatures in the graveyard were cast on the pages, I enjoyed the illustrations with their bright colors and their attention to detail. Really, I enjoyed the whole thing! If you have read it, let me know what you think. If you know of any other great graphic novels that you think I would enjoy, let me know.