Replica

Replica - Lauren Oliver

I was glad that I started with the Lyra side of this novel as I felt that it set up the novel for me. The Lyra side didn’t contain as much detail as the Gemma side of the novel contained but it laid the story out for me, set the stage for the characters and it made me hungry for the rest of the novel. I had read all sorts of ways to attack this novel as there are two sides of this story, Lyra’s and Gemma’s and by flipping this novel over, you get to read both sides of the story.   The popular way is to read them simultaneously, by flipping the novel back and forth, reading them together but I am one individual who likes to hear one side of the story at a time so I chose to read the shorter side first.

Lyra is one of the individuals who are living on Haven, an island off the coast of Florida which is inhabited by humans and Replicas. Just like the name sounds, these Replicas are models, models created and living amongst other humans on the island. It is hard to tell the difference between a human and a Replica, you have to look very carefully to notice their differences. I would love to tell you more about the novel but I fear that I would spoil the novel but there are a few things that I think you should know to entice you to read this novel. The only individuals who leave the island are the staff and there are “rumors” about what actually is occurring on the island.  Gemma knew nothing about this island until her best friend April and her were planning their Spring Break to Florida and Gemma’s father suddenly put the brakes on their plans. Frustrated, angry and now intrigued as to why her father doesn’t want her in Florida, Gemma starts to do some investigating on her own. Amazing too, Gemma’s house is now suddenly being vandalized but Gemma believes it is the girls from school.   I loved how the author pulled these two stories together, their stories gradually weaving together, their two separate, distinct lives slowly crossing over boundaries and merging together until they somehow unite. Lauren Oliver did it again; she’s proven to me again why she is one of my favorite authors. I can’t wait till the next installment!