Stick Man

Stick Man by Julia Donaldson (7-Sep-2009) Paperback - Julia Donaldson

What a cute story! Stick man awakes early and sets out for a jog and before he knew it, he was part of a dog's game. Stick man wants to go home to his tree where his Lady Love and his stick children three awaits but now his life has become a journey. So what can you do with a stick? As you read along in this fantastic children's story, you follow along in Stick Man's adventure as he moves from one scene to another as animals and individuals use Stick Man in their life. Whether for fun or for survival, Stick Man is helpful in many situations. After all, he is a stick. All the while, Stick Man chants, "I'm Stick Man, I'm Stick Man, I'M STICK MAN, that's me, And I long to be back in the family tree."

I enjoyed that the story is told in rhyme and I was surprised at the stories length. As I read about Stick Man adventure, I realized just how many things are done with sticks. The illustrations are bright and colorful and the font was bold. I liked the energy within the story as Stick Man drifted throughout his ordeal hoping to be reunited with his family. I will definitely be picking up a copy of this book after I return this to the library- I think children will love it.

I came across this book while looking for a craft. I volunteer at the library and we do an outreach program with a daycare center. I was looking at stick people crafts. I think reading this book and having children create stick people out of sticks, glue, googly eyes, and scraps of material will be a hit.