Salt to the Sea

Salt to the Sea - Ruta Sepetys

I am the minority on this one. I had high hopes for this novel, the reviews were terrific, everyone was singing its praises but I just didn’t feel it. I just didn’t feel a great connection to the story nor to the characters as I read through it. It wasn’t that I didn’t understand the story or cared what happened to the individuals who were trying to survive; it was just another story to me. I wanted to love it and live inside its pages, for historical fiction in this time period is one of my favorite genres to read. I think perhaps it was the short chapters and the shifting of the character viewpoints in each of those chapters that was the issue. I thought the story had potential, I liked the historical merit that it had and I liked the variety of characters. I wanted to be a part of the characters lives, to feel their adrenaline and their desires, this book had the energy somewhere within its pages and I wanted it.   The author had a way with language, some of her words I had to stop and write down as I thought they were worth mentioning. I appreciated that the author included historical information in the back of the novel about this important event in history. I know we all can’t agree with every novel that is written and I believe later, I will try to reread it and see if my views and ratings change.

“She held her breath in one hand and her suitcase in the other.”

“The books, raped and rummaged of their dignity, lay in heaps on the floor.”