The Hours Count: A Novel

The Hours Count: A Novel - Jillian Cantor

This would be a great book to read on a winter’s day wrapped up in a blanket, just letting yourself travel inside the pages of this novel. The story began with a single letter and it developed into a full-blown novel, leading me down paths that I wasn’t prepared for. It wasn’t a jaunting journey; it was a journey of two families, of mothers who loved their children, of husbands who had other ties and of knowing where your heart belongs. Millie suffers from mother guilt. I felt for her, for the doctors told her that her son was not developing properly because she did not love him enough. David, her two-year old son is not talking and maturing like other two-years and now Millie is dealing with emotional issues that the doctor placed on her. I had to remember it was 1947 when this novel took place as things were different back then. Her husband Ed wants to have another baby and Millie feels that one is enough. Ed ignores his family when he returns home from work as he’s frustrated with his wife’s decision and with his son’s behavior. Ed is passionate about having another child and I feel like Millie. Why should she have another child when she feels like she hasn’t done a good job with the first one? Why take a chance on another one? This tension of having another child runs through the whole novel, Millie holding the cards and her husband hammering at her. They’re fighting a silent war; they’re quietly going behind each other backs trying to bring each other down which only results in more retaliation. Unfortunately, someone has to lose. Soon Millie finds a tenant in the apartment building and their families become great friends. Crossing between work and home, there is more to this friendship than what meets the eye. Millie and David attend therapy, another one of Millie’s secrets. Millie has a talent for her secret life and I am happy to be a part of it even when things start to unravel. This novel was like a journey, the story weaving deeper and deeper with new circumstances occurring, I couldn’t quit reading now. I liked Millie, her character showed a variety of mannerisms. I loved her commitment and her determination, her lack of knowledge and her innocence gave me someone to cheer for. At times she was a lost soul and other times, she was strong and sure of herself. This novel was more than I hoped for.