Orbiting Jupiter

Orbiting Jupiter - Gary D. Schmidt

What a wonderful novel, from the beginning pages I knew that Gary Schmidt had created another fantastic story, a story with great energy and significance. Some of his characters are edgy and I loved how some of his sentences are short and direct, they simply want to say what they mean and move on. I was battling many emotions as I read the pages, Joseph was carrying labels from his past and there were individuals, people mature enough to see beneath these labels to who he really was, but they couldn’t and it frustrated me. Joseph knows who he is but it’s hard for him as he’s a teen and he feels alone and he feel the world is against him.   As Joseph finds comfort living with Jack and his parents, his new foster family, he begins to lighten his load. This doesn’t come easy and it’s a slow process, for his journey to this new place living on the farm, has taken him through many different challenges. Joseph has a daughter Jupiter, who is a bright spot in his mind. He fell deeply in love with Jupiter’s mother; it was like a fairy tale encompassing two people from opposite sides of the tracks. Joseph adored Madeline, his love was sincere and as he told his story, my heart broke. Joseph wishes to see his daughter, for he has never laid eyes on her. Chills and shivers snaked down my body as I finished out the novel. I highly recommend this novel, it’s a short read but with great impact.