The Dogs

The Dogs - Allan Stratton

I was excited to grab this book at the library the other day as I have heard it was creepy and scary. After reading it, I feel that this novel will appeal to the younger YA crowd than to the older crowd based on its content. I enjoyed the story and I liked how the author told the story. As you move through the novel, the author releases the details slowly and adds them to the storyline, there are no big dumps of information and all the information is pertinent to the novel. As the main character starts to unravel or clarify the information on the mystery he was solving, the author does a fantastic job explaining how everything fits together. I always find it frustrating when I’m reading a novel and as the mystery is getting solved, the author is not clear how the pieces fit together. For a YA novel, Allan Stratton could not have done a better job on making this clearer for his readers. I didn’t find the book as thrilling or as riveting as I expected it to be but the paranormal aspect of the book was wonderful.   I am used to the creeper aspect of paranormal activity than the mysterious side which I feel this novel undertook so I feel this toned the novel down in intensity for me. For Cameron sees Jacky, he calls to him and sometimes he answers and other times, he doesn’t but Jacky is a part of Cameron’s life now. Cameron’s dad, he’s not a part of Cameron’s life and that is a choice that Cameron’s mom made as she moves Cameron and herself around, for she fears that he is there….somewhere out there watching and he will be back. The farmhouse seems like a nice place to settle down for a while, it’s remote and yet it’s close to a city. The house has a history and Cameron; he’s bound and determined to find out what it is before he becomes a part of it.