44 Hours or Strike

44 Hours or Strike! - Anne Dublin

Welcome to the war. Although the war was being played out in another country, its effects were being felt everywhere including Canada. The year is 1931 and many females were being forced out of school to help with the family’s finances and/or to help with the war efforts by working. Rose dropped out of school a few years ago when the situation at home demanded that money was needed and schooling would have to wait. Now with their papa deceased and their mama ill, Sophie would also be working at the factory to bring in money to help with the family’s finances. The conditions at their factory are awful and the workers have decided to go on strike. The strike brings new issues and situations to the family as Rose is arrested and put into jail. The sisters are separated and the strike takes its toll on everyone involved. The family income dwindles as the strike continues. Sophie tries to make contact with her sister but there are limitations to what she can accomplish and Rose, strong independent Rose is locked behind bars. Their hands are tied because of the war and also because of the strike, so now these women will have to rely upon each other for strength. I enjoyed the story for the information that it provided to me about this time period and I believe this would make a great addition to a school’s library. The novel’s ability to address this issue with the information it provided without additional topics and without overwhelming the reader with too much information makes it a good choice. I didn’t get all emotional with this novel as there were no deep drawn-out emotions within the novel. The photographs inside the novel were helpful and I thought they helped stabilize the story and brought connections to the events occurring within the story.

I received a copy of the novel from NetGalley and Second Story Press in exchange for an honest opinion.