Not so daunting

I dislike going to the dentist, my mouth on X-ray is a series of white houses all slanting in disarray.  This fortress in my mouth is the result of having a grandfather who owned the town's general store growing up. I was fortunate back then as I got endless brown paper sacks filled with candy. I paid the price for those sacks and my father paid the dentist bill for those sacks.  Oh, the memories of those brown paper sacks filled with Wacky Packages, ChicoSticks, Pixie Sticks, Razzles and just about everything else you can image. I was the envy of all my friends. I, of course shared because it was endless.  So when I go to the dentist, I cringe when they start sticking those tiny silver instruments inside my mouth, I don't want them to discover anything new.

Yesterday while I was nervously waiting for my 6-month check up, I was reading. My hygienist called me back, so I closed the kindle just at a great section in the novel. We started talking about what I was reading and she was really excited about the book so I passed the title and bingo, an instant friendship had evolved.  As the clocked moved forward, it was as if time stood still as we conversed about books the whole duration of my appointment. There were moments where I was conversing with my eyes as she chipped away at my teeth but my mind was occupied as she went about her business as I listened to her chatter about the books that she was reading or had read.  The other girls in the office got in on the conversation and now before my next appointment I have to read The Girl on the Train and let them know how I feel about it, as they all have their opinions and they're ready to share.