Ink and Bone

— feeling excited
Ink and Bone: The Great Library - Rachel Caine

To be one of the chosen few, to be a librarian is a gift. But being a librarian is not just about checking out book and filing book, it is about protecting the books at all costs and so much more. For Jess, this job is not what he expected his father to lean him towards, as his family’s activities tended to sway towards the opposite direction. Being a runner, Jess was used to eluding authorities as he smuggled books out to awaiting individuals who were willing to pay for original copies which his father supplied to him, as Jess was fast. Father had alterative motives for this assignment but Jess had to pass the tests before being admitted. Failure to do so and he would lose out on his future with both his family and this new position. As the subjects fail a lesson, they take a tile to see if their number will be called, it’s the luck of the draw and the numbers of subjects are dwindling. You have to keep your wits about you as the Proctor is a sly guy who really doesn’t want to be there. The confrontation between the subjects is part of the challenge as the subjects learn about how to be a successful librarian and how to manage themselves. Oh, it was so much easier being a librarian when you just had to stamp the books, read stories and shelf the materials. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this novel, the authors colorful descriptive words played with me as she moved the characters; I especially enjoyed their time in the war zone. The flies buzzing in my ears and rotting flesh underneath my feet made me more than ready to close out that chapter and get the characters behind the gate. “Just one more book!” I found myself chanting to the characters as I leaned over my own book reading the words as fast as they could come, urging the characters because we all know this works.