Under A Painted Sky

Under a Painted Sky - Stacey Covington-Lee

“Maybe what matters is not so much the path as who walks beside you.”

They only planned on being together a short while but as the days on the road added up, Sammy and Andy’s bond became stronger. They became like family. They each had an obligation they wanted to fulfill when they started the trip, something they set their sights upon, but they traveled they realized to fulfill their responsibility they would have to split up and go separate ways. How could they split up now though? Samantha a.k.a. Sammy and Annamae a.k.a Andy, two girls trekking out on the open road were now disguised as boys. One charged with murder and one a runaway slave, both fighting to conceal their identity every step of the way. The year is 1849 and what I found incredible was the ease at which these two individuals were able to travel the countryside. Sammy and Andy had many issues to deal with as they traveled. I found myself laughing multiple times as these two females males tried to make their ways to their destination only to find themselves in unfamiliar territory. California was their destination but along the way they meet some interesting and lively, who prolonged their trip but made it more of an adventure and showed them that sometimes the path to their destination is an important part of the trip. Not all the people they meet on their journey fell for their disguises and accepted their nationality differences but that is what makes this book so enjoyable and refreshing. It’s these bonds and the relationships with these people that help the teens grow and show them the world around them. I really loved how the author allows the main characters to shed their costumes and see the world through both their male and female perspectives, for I thought it added depth, humor and it made the world a much bigger place for everyone.   There were parts in the story I thought got long, far too many details blogged me down as I read and I wanted to see more of the world through the characters eyes.