None of the Above

None of the Above - Andrea Di Gregorio

“Be careful of letting others define who – and what- you are.”

These are such beautiful words, yet challenging words to follow especially when you are a teen going through some hard bumps in life.   Krissy had just made Homecoming Queen; this was the night…… there were special plans for this night, plans for just Krissy and her boyfriend Sam.   They followed through with the plans yet something just didn’t feel right. Later, as Krissy tries to wrap her head around the words her doctor reports to her, the night with Sam becomes clearer. Krissy is XY, she has a unique genetic condition, she is intersex. Emotions run rampant in both Krissy and her father as they try to comprehend what this actually means and what they are to do with this information. She tries telling only her two best friends but that line of communication gets breeched and soon the whole school gets wind of the situation and Krissy can’t face what has become of her life. Her life will never be the same. What stood out to me the most about this novel was the way it touched on a variety of topics related to Krissy’s discovery of her condition, how she deals with it and how others deal with her.   Like most individuals when they are diagnosed with an condition, they feel that others can visually see their condition just by looking at them. This occurred with Krissy also, as she immediately thought others could tell she was different just by looking at her. It’s funny how our minds do things like that. Then as Krissy tries to go about her day and as she thinks about her future, this dark cloud of intersex hangs over her and she can’t seem to get out from underneath it. A support group and some true individuals help her see that there are sunny days ahead. Krissy has to deal with individuals who can’t get past the name-calling and bullying becomes part of her life. Unfortunately, this book is life for some individuals and I felt for Krissy and I hated that she had to deal with all of these issues. This is not a disorder, like the author states in her notes located in the back of the novel, she states that a disorder means that something is wrong and I had to smile when I read that. She also makes the comment in these notes about terms and how we use them to label people. Terms, individuals thrown around so loosely, creating a label for individuals that we associate them with, creating then a stigma for that person in our mind. Unfortunately, it’s true.