Swerve

— feeling big smile
Swerve - Vicki Pettersson

He was waiting for her, her childhood nemesis, in the restroom along the road as they made their way to Lake Arrowhead to celebrate the holiday. Inside the rest stop bathroom, her privacy was invaded as Coal Man was paying her a visit, she knew immediately it was him. Quickly returning to their car, she discovers her fiancé Daniel missing and immediately Kris knows that the instructions she was left, were presented to her by the Coal Man. It’s an Amazing Race with check off points where Kris must execute senseless acts to receive maps to her next destination. She only has a limited amount of time to get to her final destination and he’s watching her along the way. The frustration of being a “player” has Kris doing more than just following what is expected of her as she tries to get the upper hand in this game, for she has more at stake than just herself. Kris must also think of her daughter, who she hopes is safe from all of this madness. Oh, he was one twisted guy who loved to show Kris that he means business as he doesn’t threatened to do anything that he can’t follow through on. Not a novel for those who can’t handle blood and some missing body parts, as I loved the suspense and the twisted mind of this crazy madman as he leads Kris along on his little game. It’s not all senseless as he tells Kris the reason for this trek crisscrossing the countryside, but as the maps pile up and Kris discovers more about her mapmaker, he really needs to reconsider the reason he sent her on this trip. I loved every minute of this novel! It’s one of those books I wish I could erase from my memory and reread it again. The twists and the characters had me pulled inside the pages and I wanted nothing more than to get lost inside the pages and ride with Kris as she tried to crawl herself out of this nightmare that she was living.  Kris was tangled in a web and she was trying to escape the grips of this madman who had her both internally and externally wrapped up. This story moved quickly and I highly recommend it.

I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley and Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books.