The Haunting of Sunshine Girl

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl: Book One - Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel

I went into this book blindly, I knew nothing of the YouTube videos surrounding this book, I picked it up based solely on its cover and the inside narrative and I am glad that I did. Will I check out the YouTube videos now, probably not, why spoil a good thing? The novel didn’t waste any time as things started to get mysterious right off the get go. Sunshine and her mother arrived in Washington, having made the drive from Texas as her mother was going to start her new nursing position in just a few days. Her mother found their new home on Facebook and the minute that Sunshine stepped into her new home, she knew it just didn’t feel right. Perhaps it was the musty smell, the child’s laughter and the footsteps she heard coming from the upper floor, or it could have been the cold breezes she felt as she tried to settle in to this gloomy house nevertheless, Sunshine knew someone else was occupying this house. Sunshine feels it is a girl whose spirit is trying to capture her attention. It is the way the author strings the events occurring in the house and the events in Sunshine’s life that has captured my attention, exciting and mesmerizing I find myself drawn into the book just waiting for the next move. Her mother has become oblivious to the happenings in the house, what happened to the loving relationship between the two of them? Being a photographer, Sunshine tries to capture the changes that are occurring in her life. What will she discover when those prints are finally developed and who will be able to actually see what is on that film? At school, she finds this place just as mysterious as the place she now calls home only the haunting are not occurring there. Finding a peer at school, Nolan becomes her friend and tries to help her uncover this mystery and if it wasn’t for his leather jacket, I wonder if the romance that sparked between the two of them would have occurred. This mystery has depth, it’s not an easy solve and I enjoyed all the twists and all the additions the author added in to make this novel a real treat. Definitely a great read for me and one to start my summer off on a high note.