The Ghosts of Graylock

The Ghost of Graylock: (a Hauntings novel) - Dan Poblocki

Many of my students at school were reading this book and conveying to me how creepy it was, so I had to read it. After reading it though, I have to say, I think it was more mysterious and adventurous than creepy. My students are 5th and 6th graders and I am a substitute teacher so I get a lot of book recommendations and this book has been making its rounds among many schools. I really loved the cover and for students, that says a lot and the print is small and if you can get them to read, I am all for it. I did like the visuals the author created as you read, adding just enough details to help paint a great picture without feeling too overwhelmed with particulars. As far as the characters, they each had a different personality which played with and against each other adding to the dramatics of this book. The brother and sister duo, there wasn’t a lot of bickering going on between them but once in a while there was tension and you need that to make it be realistic. There was a set of brothers who didn’t stick together and who were opposite enough that their personalities reflected who they really were.   The setting was an old mental institution and you can call it something else to make it less daunting but the rumors surrounding Graylock Hall still remain. The drowning of children, Nurse Janet’s spirit haunting the place, and details within the building that you just need to see to believe. When the siblings are left with their aunts for the summer, Neil’s curiosity got the best of him and like most kids he plans a trip to Graylock Hall. He ends up not going alone and the foursome head to the abandoned building rotting in the woods. That single horrifying trip leaves the sibling searching for answers. Suddenly strange occurrences invade their world, individuals appearing and disappearing leaving them to wonder if they really were there to begin with. How can they explain what they are experiencing and stop it when they don’t know what they are dealing with.