Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray

I listened to this audio and I don’t think I have laughed so much in a long time. Talk about extravagant stereotypes, excessive mannerisms and just plain old fun, which is what you will find inside this novel. I’m really not sure which character I liked the best as they all were needed to make this book so fantastic. Everyone is different when you get to know them with their little quirks and their individual personalities. I really have to give credit where it is due and that is to, Libba Bray. She did a fantastic job with all the voices and I highly recommend that you listen to this novel than read it yourself as she nailed this with the sarcastic tones and accents. Thirteen teen beauty contestants are the lone survivors after a plane crash, do they go into survival mode or do they practice their speeches and fret about their appearances? I am laughing now just thinking about the different conversations and journeys the girls had when they wash up on an island. Imagining their journey, I think back and see the snake the girls find, the jungle ATM, the catapult a few girls create, and the many whining and high-pitched conversations that took place on the island for which the girls will never forget. I was annoyed by the footnotes that broke into the audio as I thought they broke up the flow of the book and I thought the novel was long after a while but the humor was incredible. It was an adventure, a fun filled journey for me, providing many laughs and smiles yet frustrating for the girls who were stranded on the island. Definitely check this novel out but only if you’re ready to laugh and you’re ready to view this side of the world.