Pack of Dorks

Pack of Dorks - Beth Vrabel

It all began with a kiss which then led into Dorkland and ended when Lucy deciding she was a lone wolf who needed to decide her own future. I think there are many of us who can relate to Lucy: how desperately she wanted her first kiss, her issues with popularity at school and her trying to find her place with her peers. Lucy and Becky were popular before the two girls decided to kiss the boys. At home, the family is adjusting to the addition of Lucy’s new sister Molly who was born with Down Syndrome. Once Lucy returns to school after an absence, Becky attitude towards her has changed along with all of her peers, she is now the center of everyone’s mockery.   Lucy is now an outcast. Becky says she is just pretending by changing her attitude so she can get the inside scope with their peers but Lucy feels alone and isolated and just wants normalcy. Lucy finds herself hanging out with the individuals she once cast aside: the dorks. She now sees these individuals with both eyes, and I love how she really sees them. How they are people with issues but they are people she can relate to on her own level too. Becky sees Lucy adapting and she’s seeing it with both eyes too and there is a change occurring within both girls. Lucy’s grandma offers words of wisdom to Lucy and Lucy slowly everything comes together for Lucy. Truly a wonderful story with many great messages tucked inside.