Everything That Makes You

Everything That Makes You - Moriah McStay

Told in alternating viewpoints we meet Fiona and Fi. Fiona gets into an accident at a young age and her face is scared. Never used to the stranger’s remarks and stares, she wears her hair down to partially cover the incident.   Her mother, oh her mother is something else. She is all about beauty and nothing else matters, her comments to her daughter make me want to scream for how can a mother be so shallow. In her teens, Fiona has the opportunity to undergo a medical procedure to help repair the damage and she’s hesitate, for she has lived with this condition for most of her life.   It takes some time and some serious talking but she finally agrees to have the procedure. Fi, on the other hand leads a normal life until while playing in a lacrosse game, she bangs up her leg. Poor Fi, her life is ruined and she has just lost her season. It’s this big pity party and I feel bad for her but her drama consumes everything. It’s as though nothing else can revolve, as though she is nothing without lacrosse. Comparing the lives of Fiona and Fi, you see how drama can affect people, how it turns people around. I got confused reading this novel, it seemed jumpy to me and I found myself rereading passages to get myself back on track, perhaps the execution could have been better for me.