Th Five Stages of Andrew Brawley

The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley - Shaun Hutchinson

Death is near and Drew is keeping his eye on her as he knows he has escaped her grips once and his time will come eventually. As he lives his life in the corridors of the hospital working and mingling among the staff and patients, he tries to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Drew knows he must also be a shadow to those individuals who can take his life away from him. As I read about Drew as he strolls down the corridors, the people inside these walls are his family, this is all he has. The author slowly reveals part of Drew’s past but to lock yourself inside a hospital and forget the outside world, I just don’t understand why Drew took such drastic measures.   Drew, a teenager, who should be out in the world having a good time has locked himself up and carries with him a bag of emotions.   What brought him to this point and why is he dealing with all of this?   Drew’s obsessive watch over death has him stretched over the hospital and many individuals have gotten to know him but none have gotten to know the real Drew. Working in the cafeteria, Drew hears the stories that echo throughout the hospital and his inquisitive mind finds him with Rusty, a boy brought in with burns over his body. Rusty’s cries haunt Drew even after the lights go out. There is more to Rusty’s story than what is being told and as Drew quietly makes his way into Rusty’s room, I am trying to figure out if he’s there to keep Death away or for his own desires. Drew ongoing relationship with Lexi and Trevor, I can’t help but smile and feel the love that these three friends had for one another. Cancer, it hung over their heads yet they tried to move forward and be positive and hopeful. The night in the cafeteria, as Drew and Steven retreated into the kitchen, Chef Arnold basking in his moment and I, my face was beaming and my eyes were glazing over and I paused……I had to savor this moment, for this moment was what we all needed.