Cracked Up To Be

Cracked Up to Be - Courtney Summers

Parker’s falling and although she says she doesn’t want assistance, you can’t help but feel there’s a part of her that reaching out for someone. Perhaps it’s the bottle of Jack Daniels that she keeps in her locker at school, hidden front and center or the way she reminisces back to her previous life, the way she shined for herself and those who mattered. For now though, she is crumbling, she can’t keep her head above water, she failing in school, her friends and her family are concerned for her welfare and she really doesn’t care about anything. What caused this sudden change in the girl who had everything going for her? As Parker muddles through her life now, we are given flashbacks into Parker’s previous life, Parker the perfectionist, the girl who was on top and we witness just how fast someone can tumble. There were times I found myself talking to the characters, committed and attached to them I was now consumed and attached to their lives. Just like in the other novels that I have read by Courtney Summers, the emotions and the drama were front and center, and as a reader I was wrapped up inside these pages and forgot the world outside.