The Way We Bared Our Souls

The Way We Bared Our Souls - Willa Strayhorn

What a great story. I thought it was a unique and highly entertaining. Each of the characters was different yet they had something that united them together. Had Lo not brought them together, I really don’t believe they would have found their connection. Lo brings these four individuals who are not great friends together but in the end, these four individuals have created a bond like no other. Its stories like these that make me wonder how many people out there that we are missing, who are under our radar. We are comfortable with our own friends but what about the people who we don’t see, the people like Kit and Kaya who are trapped in their own little worlds and who others ignore. Lo, brought these individuals out into the open and unfortunately it took the Indian ritual but do we really see people in our world? The aspect of the unknown for these five teens and how they thought nothing had changed after their time in the Pueblo kiva made the book exciting as the teens had to communicate with each other and grasp their new identity. Wearing these new identities, the teens get to experience life in a new perspective which is not always ideal.

“That our imperfections and our problems are how we stay open to something greater than ourselves. That embracing our burdens is actually how we grow and become our best and truest selves.”